“And when they had come into the house, they saw the young Child with Mary His mother, and fell down and worshiped Him. And when they had opened their treasures, they presented gifts to Him: gold, frankincense, and myrrh” (Mat 2:11).
The wise men in our text responded to the first “Christmas” wisely indeed. So should we. However, nowadays believers and sinners alike make terrible mistakes about this holy event. Here are nine errors we all run the risk of committing:
1. Craving presents rather than Christ’s presence.
2. Hallowing sports stars rather than the Saviour.
3. Reading horoscopes rather than the Scriptures.
4. Inviting friends and family to fun than to faith.
5. Spending seed recklessly than sowing it wisely.
6. Treating the poor with contempt rather than with compassion.
7. Mixing paganism with Christianity.
8. Avoiding the centrality of the Gospel.
9. Substituting rituals for true piety.
May divine grace spare us from such blunders this year!